Consensus criteria method is one of the several tools used in improving process by prioritizing items and portraying them in terms of weighted criteria. This process is made to use by combining a tree and matrix diagramming methods to carry out a pair-wise assessment of items resulting to narrowing down to a most preferred or most effectual priority wise sequence of events.
It is worthwhile to mention that the most common tough job for teams is a lack of consensus. It is a major problem, which carries along with it arguments, disagreement and division among a number of teams etc. ‘Consensus’ emerges from the Latin roots meaning "shared thought". The word does not simply mean complete agreement, but it also involves seeking a decision with which everyone is logically contented. To bring about this, one and all will call for a fair opportunity to be heard and the issues that are underlying must come up to the approval of the group.
There are different tools and techniques that can be used to build consensus. Indeed, all the tools that are implemented in quality management contribute to consensus. These tools should be made to use when:
• The original causes have been found out and the most critical causes that are identified must be narrowed down.
• When there are complexities regarding issues and they have tough relationships among them.
• When there are very less resources for enhancement activities, hence, it is required to give attention to the few critical aspects.
The functions of effective tools are useful in the following ways:
• It helps framing out discussion and maintaining it from going astray.
• It depicts the connection between a plan and its creator.
• Diminish the inclination to be conventional to group opinion.
• Act as a shield against act of vengeance for open divergences.
• Helpful in sustaining making decisions in a convenient way.
• The use of effective tools can encourage high opinion for strong opinions.
• The quality management tools provide for suitable assessment of different options.
• These tools are applicable while following valid rules of mathematics.
Consensus criteria method is one of the forms of Prioritization Matrices that is used in process improvement. Prioritization matrices and techniques are set up to rationally lessen the main point of any team prior to detailed planning of implementation can take place. The Prioritization Matrix is generally regarded as one of the second seven tools. These are particularly useful in solving problems regarding resources, for instance people, time or money, are not in abundance or if the actions related to solve problem are strongly related to each other. While creating a matrix, it is required to evaluate the relative aptitude of every action to successfully put forward the outcomes that is to be compared to almost all the other known activities. A well refined matrix can help a team to take a general resolution or find out the sequence in order to hit upon a crisis or effort in the direction to achieve the goal. Prioritization matrices are the essential tools that are functional in bounding the project and analyzing stages of Lean Six Sigma quality.
A prioritization matrix should be created in the following circumstances:
• When it is not possible to do everything at once,
• At the time, when there are lots of uncertainties about the best possible use of resources or energy, or
• When initiating to look toward precise goals of enhancement.
This tool can also be helpful while making a choice in particular state of affairs where the criteria are meant for a fair resolution, are identified or established. However, their relative significance is either not identified or doubtful. There are a number of options available for creating a prioritization matrix which is dependent on the extent of time and the degree of complexity of problem.
The Prioritization Matrix furnishes the way for categorizing a varied number of items into an order of consequence. It also functions in facilitating their relative importance to make known by drawing out an arithmetical value of the significance of each item.
For considering the items to be measured compared with one another, each item is kept counted against each of a group of main criteria, and the counted scores for each item are then added. A fair criterion shows out the main objectives and allows making of objective measurements. It is required to create a list of criteria or characteristics in order to fulfil the goal or meet the objective. The following is the list:
• Lesser cost of investment
• Maximum implementation of accessible technology
• Increased amount of possible dollar savings
• Employing high improvement potential for increasing the process speed
• Maximum satisfaction of customer
• Lesser impact on other processes
• Alleviate execution
The discipline associated with prioritization matrix permits you to keep away from framing out uninformed priorities that have minimum probability of getting you to reach your preferred goals. These disciplines require a lot of time to become skilled at. Yet, the more important thing is the application experience. However, when anybody mastered the implementation of these tools, it can put an end to many problems, giving an output with maximum productivity.